Fresh oysters broiled with creamed spinach, bacon, lemon and bread crumbs
- 12 whole Fresh Oysters
- 3 strips Bacon
- 4 oz Fresh Spinach
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Red Onion chopped
- 1 bulb Garlic chopped
- 2 whole Lemon
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
- to taste Salt
- to taste Pepper
- Clean and shuck the fresh oysters and put aside on ice
- In a saute pan on medium high heat, add sliced bacon and a dash of oil. Saute until the bacon is crispy and remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the oil.
- Add the onion and garlic to the saute pan and cook until aromatic. Add in flour to make a roux and cook over medium heat until starts to turn slightly golden brown. Add in cream and simmer until reduced and you can draw a clear line on the back of a spoon to test for thickness.
- Add in cheddar cheese to the cream mixture until fully melted. Add in spinach and stir until wilted and combined. Place mixture in a bowl and allow to cool.
- Toast bread crumbs until golden brown, add salt and pepper and combine with lemon zest and set aside
- Prepare the oysters by placing on an oven safe dish on top of kosher or rock salt to ensure oysters don't move.
- Place a spoon full of the spinach mixture on each oyster. Top each oyster with the crisped bacon lardons and finish with sprinkling the breadcrumb mixture on the top.
- Place oysters under the broiler of the over or cook at 425 until the top is golden brown.
- Place oysters on service dish with salt on the bottom and garnish with lemon wedges